Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hiding

One of little man's new favorite games is "hiding."

This one he must get from mommy. One of my favorite childhood memories is playing flashlight tag with my brother, his friends and the rest of the kids living in our small little cul-de-sac on warm summer nights. That is, until my brother figured out that I would hide in the same spot nearly every time, thus making me as easy target.

I was not a very good hider. And that, too, I must have passed on to little man.

Little man's favorite hiding spot is in the middle of the living room. Yes - the middle. And to further add to his stealth-like capabilities, he hides underneath his "big lovey," aka a lime green baby blanket.

But that's not all. It seems that with "hiding" also comes an incurable case of the giggles. Even if I somehow did manage to miss the lump of toddler on the living room floor beneath a lime green baby blanket, the constant stream of giggles would surely tip me off.

(That, and the fact that he almost always ropes daddy into the mix. A 6'4" daddy doesn't hide very well beneath a baby blanket, by the way.)

Yet, little man remains completely convinced that he is incognito. Invisible. Stealth-like.

And so I play along (unlike my brother many moons ago), looking high and low for little man throughout the house. In the coat closet, under the coffee table, behind the couches.

"Where is little man?" I ask.

And then, fortunately, little man will have pity on me.

"BOO!" He yells to me as he reveals himself. "I hiding."

And so the game continues on for another day ... when, once again, I walk into the living room to find a lime green lump of toddler with another incurable case of the giggles.

"Hiding."

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Did you play Kick the Can in your neighborhood? That was our favorite - a combination of hiding and running!

It'll be a few more years before he'll be ready to play that. Plus, how do kids play these games now that everyone has fences?! Hmmm. . . .

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! Ryan and I have been playing a lot of hide and seek with my brother's little girls and the 3 year old is terrible too! What makes it even funnier is that he was recently commenting on how bad you were when the two of you used to play! I will let you know that as an uncle, he is much better about "not being able to find you"!!

Desiree said...

That is too funny!! Even though Ryan definitely didn't play along with the whole "I can't find you" game back then, he was still a great big brother! However, I am still glad that as an uncle he is much better at playing along!!!

LAMBO said...

Those were the days. Running around in the dark and playing hide and seek. Desiree was terrible at hide and seek, but she never gave up. She would play hide and seek until Mom "made" her come in the house. There would be an army outside playing at night. Don't see it anymore. The circle was awesome. Especially 4th of July. As I grow older, I have jumped into what we call "chase". I chase the little ones around the house and they yell and scream. Its a good time!!! Lambo