Thursday, September 4, 2008

20 Questions Toddler-Style

This morning little man and I peeled ourselves out of bed, despite the cool weather and soft rain. It really was a sleepin' in morning, but we somehow managed to get ourselves up, relatively awake and dressed just before heading out the door.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I love that little man and I can now have a conversation. I love hearing what's on his mind, even if the mind of a 2-year-old is ... random.

And with these new conversation skills, little man has entered into the "mommy, what's that?" stage.

This morning was no different. In the car on the way to preschool, little man began his usual barrage of "what's that?" questions.

"Mommy, what's that?" he asked as he pointed towards the windshield.

I looked around, but didn't see anything unusual.

"What buddy?" I asked.

"That," he said. "THAT."

Again, mommy sat clueless.

"That" little man kept saying in an almost rhythmic tone.

"Is it in the car?" I asked.

"Yeah, THAT."

"THAT."

Finally, I gave up.

"What color is it?" I asked him in an attempt to narrow the choices down.

"Black."

Unfortunately for me, the entire interior of my car is black.

It wasn't the dashboard, it wasn't the radio, it wasn't anything black that I could see in the car.

I gave up and turned an Elmo movie on in a futile attempt to change the subject.

But, little man wanted to know what "that" was.

I looked out onto the rain covered street as I waited at a stoplight.

"Mommy, that!" little man exclaimed once more.

And then it all clicked.

Windshield wipers.

"Make rain go bye-bye?" little man asked.

"Yes, buddy. They make the rain go bye-bye."

No comments: