Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Crowning Moment

It was a lazy Saturday afternoon when I gathered my courage to venture out dress shopping. We have two functions this summer that will require something a bit nicer than my usual t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops, however formal dresses and I usually do not get along very well.

"Let's go buddy," I said to the little man, who had just barely awakened from his afternoon nap.

"Where are we going?" he asked.

"Mommy needs a new dress," I replied.

"But I wanna stay here and watch cartoons," the little man said, still waking up from his nap.

I knew the little man, just like any 4-year-old, liked to feel important. I also knew that I wasn't in the mood for a "I don't wanna go" tantrum.

"But mommy needs your help to find her a pretty dress," I said. "Can you please come and help me?"

The little man jumped up, ready to save the day.

"Sure," he said as he smiled. "I will find you a pink one ... no, a blue one, because that's your favorite color."

We loaded up the car and headed on our adventure. As we entered the shop I crossed my fingers that my 4-year-old little helper would be on his best behavior.

As I approached the dressing room with an arm full of dresses, the little man stopped me.

It wasn't because I didn't have a pink dress ... or a blue one.

It was because I had forgotten one important accessory.

At least to him.

"Mommy, don't you need a crown?" He asked as he looked at a rack of dazzling combs, barrettes and other hair pieces.

"Why?" I asked him as I walked to the dressing room.

"Because you're a pretty princess," he said as he looked up at me. "All princesses need a crown."

As I shut the door on the dressing room I couldn't help but smile.

And feel like a pretty princess.

No comments: