Sunday, November 21, 2010

Aliens

Anyone who knows me personally knows that if there is something about UFOs, Bigfoot or the paranormal on TV, then I am watching it. I believe this fascination began as part of my mother's own fascination with all things Sci-Fi. She and I would spend Saturday afternoons watching any Sci-Fi movie that was on, most of which were laughable.

My husband often joked with me that he didn't want me to pass along my own love of aliens, Sasquatches, et. al. to our son. He became increasingly concerned when one afternoon the little man asked Daddy if he could "watch that movie with the bear that walks on two legs" again. My husband looked at me questioningly, without a clue as to what the little man was talking about. With a laugh I explained to him that "the bear that walks on two legs" was what the little man called Bigfoot.

However, you cannot shield your children from everything. Especially your own habits.

This became especially true two weekends ago. The little man woke up early Saturday morning and since my husband is a habitual early bird, the two boys got up and went downstairs. I awoke to squealing - the good kind. The little man was extremely excited about something, but I could not make it out. I got out of bed and walked downstairs to see what all the excitement was about.

"MOMMY!" the little man squealed as I walked down the stairs. "Look - ALIENS!"

I looked up to the television and saw three little green monsters.

"Aliens, mommy," the little man explained. "They are living in the attic!"

I looked at my husband, who was giving me the look.

"You did this," he said. "You officially warped our son."

Meanwhile, the little man was so excited about the aliens he could barely sit still. He sat with a wide grin on his face, bouncing on the couch as he watched the aliens' every move.

"It's Aliens in the Attic," my husband said. "And he LOVES it."

It was a cute children's movie about a group of aliens that crash land on Earth and take up residence in a summer home. The home is full of a group of kids who are staying there for the summer with their parents when they discover the aliens in the attic.

I couldn't help but to laugh as I saw how excited the little man was to be watching aliens. My husband had conceded in his fight to keep the alien-loving trait from our son.

"Well," I said to my husband. "What did you expect? He is at least half mine."

And with that I sat on the couch with my alien-loving son, loving every minute of Aliens in the Attic.

No comments: