Tuesday, August 26, 2008

New Warfare

Little man has a new item in his I don't want to go to bed arsenal.

"Mommy, I need big kiss."

Followed by ...

"Mommy, I need little kiss."

Followed by ...

"Mommy, I need big hug."

And then the whole manipulative - but incredibly sweet - cycle begins again.

Little man has always had his little tricks to get out of going to bed. In the past this has included items such as "read more books" or the common "I need more water" or "I need to go pee-pee."

However, we have one by one systematically conquered them by limiting the book reading to two bedtime stories and always making sure little man has a full sippy cup of water at his side and a trip to the potty just before bed (even though I do admit we do take him to the bathroom every time he asks, even if he just went, because I am horribly afraid of taking two steps backward in this whole potty training adventure).

But I don't think I can overcome this new trick. He may have won.

My cunning little man has found a way to overcome the "it's time for bed now" rule. While I do limit the big kiss, little kiss, big hug excuse to just one cycle now, I cannot say no. It's like mommy kryptonite. It defeats me every time.

And what's worse, is I'm sure little man knows it. And he triumphs in it.

I try to tell myself that he's won this battle, but not the war. While bedtime is now delayed, he does still go to bed.

And I get a chance for more little man kisses and hugs.

Bedtime isn't that important is it?

So much for maintaining my authority ... again.

No comments: