Thursday, June 4, 2009

My Boy

This week my husband was away on a business trip, so it was just the little man and I.

When I was pregnant and found out we were having a boy, my mom said she was so happy for me because mothers and sons always seem to have a special bond - just like daddy's little girls have with their fathers. As the little man continues to grow and become his own man, I have found myself feeling as if he was slipping away from me as of late. The little baby who would love to snuggle on the couch now tells me to move over. The baby boy who once giggled as I showered him in bedtime kisses now tells me "That's enough kisses, mommy, no more."

But then there are moments when I'm reminded that even as he grows up, he's still a mamma's boy.

Such as the case two nights ago.

The dinner dishes had been put away. Little man was sporting his new Cars jammies and was fresh and clean from his night's bath. We had just a little time before little man's usual bedtime, so we settled onto the couch for some evening cartoons before bedtime stories.

As I was flipping through the channels trying to locate the cartoons, we passed some sort of show interviewing a bride before her wedding. She was in a stunning wedding gown with her hair up in her veil.

"Look, mommy - that's a pretty princess," little man said as he pointed to the TV screen.

I smiled. "Yeah, she was pretty, huh?" I asked little man while I still scanned the channels for cartoons.

"But mommy, you're a pretty princess," little man said, smiling at me.

I paused and looked down at him. My heart was full.

"You're a pretty princess, just like that gwurl," he said pointing back at the TV.

I did the only thing I could do - hug him.

Little man giggled and pulled away.

And with that the moment was over, just as quickly and as unexpected as it had come.

But it's a memory I will hold in my heart forever.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Jason and I caught a few episodes of Penguins of Madagascar cartoon the other afternoon while sitting on the couch with W. We loved it! So clever! :-)