Sunday, March 22, 2009

Fireman

Little man has decided that he wants to be a fireman when he grows up.

He's always love firetrucks. There is a fire station just across the street from the entrance to our subdivision. When the garage doors are up, little man always loves to see the firetruck inside as we drive past. Sometimes it's even outside, in which little man always squeals with delight.

Most recently we have been blessed with some warm Spring weather. The sunny afternoons and warm temperatures have made for some fun weekends outside. Last weekend little man helped daddy wash the cars in the driveway. Not only was he excited to be helping, but once his little hands got on the hose and he was able to spray the water, little man could hardly contain himself.

"I'm a fireman!" He exclaimed as he sprayed the water. "I spray the hose like fireman!"

His love of firefighters also extends well onto the playground. One warm afternoon I left work a bit early. I was happy to be able to pick up the little man from preschool early and spend what was left of the afternoon with him. When I got there the kids were playing outside. I found little man at the top of the play house. Much to mommy's horror he then reached out to the sliding pole just off of the side. I immediately reached up to grab him.

"No mommy!" He scolded. "I can do it. I'm a fireman!"

Before I knew it, little man was sliding down the pole, just like a fireman. His friend was close behind him.

They were firemen.

A few days later I was loading little man into the car to go to preschool. He ran to a support pole in our garage and began spinning around it.

"Weeeeee!" He screamed.

I honestly had no idea what he was doing.

"I slide down pole like fireman," little man said. "There's an emergency! 9-9-1!"

I giggled to myself as I snatched little man up and put him into his car seat.

"It's 9-1-1," I said. "You call 9-1-1 for an emergency."

"I wanna be a fireman," little man said.

And with that I was once again reminded that my little man was growing up right before my eyes.

And I also knew that it would be in my best interest to keep the hose and sprayer locked up this summer, just in case someone should decide it's a 9-9-1 emergency.

No comments: