Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Happy Plate

Sorry for the lag in posts, the husband and I took an extended weekend to visit friends in Washington, D.C. Little man enjoyed the time with Nana, where they apparently took in the zoo, the Easter Bunny and an airplane museum. Meanwhile we thoroughly enjoyed a weekend of grown-up dinners, conversation and sight-seeing.

The day before we left on our trip, we were going about our usual evening routine of going through the mail, digging through the pantry to see what we could find for the night's dinner and the general "How was your day?" conversations.

Little man had helped his teacher pick up the toys and tidy up the room that afternoon before leaving. As such, he was allowed to pick a "treasure."

He choose Smarties.

When we got home, he immediately wanted to open up his treasure and eat it. I unwrapped the candies and put them into a bowl for him. He toddled out to the living room to eat his reward.

We have a strict, yet simple dinner policy at our house for little man: he eats what we make for dinner (no short-orders at our kitchen) and if he makes a "happy plate" (eats a good dinner and clears his plate) then - and only then - he may have dessert. This used to be more of a battle, but as of late it seems as if we have succeeded in getting this message through to him. Or, more simply put, little man has discovered his love for jellybeans by far outweighs any food aversions. And he knows to get jelly beans, he must make a happy plate.

Before long, little man was back in the kitchen, standing by my side, empty bowl in hand. I was not surprised that the candies had disappeared so fast.

Little man stood next to me, smiling and holding up his plate.

"Are you all done?" I asked him.

"I make a happy plate," little man said.

I laughed. "You most certainly did," I said. "You ate the Smarties all up."

Little man stood silent, just looking at me.

"Momma ..." little man started.

"What buddy?" I asked him. I could tell he wanted something, but did not know what.

"But I made a happy plate," little man said.

I was confused.

"Yes, yes you did," I replied.

"I get jellybeans now," little man said with a smile on his face.

Then I understood - he had eaten all of his smarties. He had made a happy plate. His reward for happy plates was jellybeans.

And we had never, ever clarified to him that happy plates only applied to actual meals.

He had beat us at our own game.

And he knew it.

However, I will admit, I was a wee bit impressed with this maneuver.

I could have taken the time to clarify the rules. To change them on him and deny him his jellybeans all because I was the mommy, and I said so.

But I had to give it to the little guy - he was a smartie himself.

So I did all that I could do.

I reached into the jellybean bowl, took out two jellybeans and put them into little man's hand.

"Good job, buddy," I said. "You made a happy plate."

No comments: