Sunday, May 3, 2009

Criss-Cross-Applesauce

As the little man grows up, I find myself being reminded in little ways that he is growing up in world far different than the one I grew up in.

The other day, little man and I were sitting in the living room enjoying a snack and watching cartoons. He was trying desperately to get comfortable and sit near the coffee table, just like mommy.

"Sit like this buddy," I said to him. "Sit Indian-style like mommy."

He looked down to see how mommy was sitting. He then looked perplexed.

"No mommy, that's criss-cross-applesauce," he informed me.

I looked down and thought for a moment.

"See, I sit criss-cross-applesauce, too," little man said, finally sitting comfortably.

It then hit me that the phrase"Indian style" probably isn't too kosher these days. In an ultra-PC world, I could understand why this common - and apparently outdated - phrase was not used anymore in schools.

It then got me thinking about all the other little things that have changed since my childhood. Not only will little man sit criss-cross-applesauce-style, but there are a slew of other nuances:

He will not learn about Pluto the planet ... err, not planet.

He will not learn about the Brontosaurus. Rather, he will learn about the Apatosaurus (because, apparently, after all of this time the scientists have decided they named it wrong.)

He will believe TV's always hung on the wall.

And that they had cable.

And remotes.

And were also found in cars.

He will never learn the art of folding a road map. But he sure will be a GPS whiz.

He will never buy film for a camera.

He will never spend a frustrating eternity pouring over a card catalog at a library, going through each and every musty, yellowed and typed card trying to find the book. Just a simple click of the mouse for him and not only will he be able to find the book he was looking for, but also a complete list of other books on the topic, books that are similar and may be of interest to him and books by the same author.

He will also never thumb through the printed pages of an outdated set of Encyclopedia Britannica's. He will use his mouse to click through them and have access to the most up-to-date facts, figures and information available.

However, while little man's world will include technology, new dinosaurs and sitting criss-cross-applesauce, I am optimistic about the world little man is growing up in. He will grow up in a more environmentally concious world. He will grow up in a healthier world. A safer world. A more knowlegeable world.

And I am comforted that some things never change.

Like family dinners around the dinner table.

My family's special spaghetti sauce recipe.

Chocolate milk.

Catching fireflies at dusk.

Swings.

Blowing bubbles.

And, of course, Big Wheels.

No comments: