Monday, November 17, 2008

At Least He Looks Sweet & Innocent ...

The other day on the way home from preschool little man was telling me about the day's antics. Apparently he had a big fun day, but for one thing.

"William not my friend," little man said.

"Why not?" I asked little man, concerned.

"William hit me," he said. "He go time out."

I wasn't too surprised by this story, as any mother of a preschooler will tell you, preschool is rough. Hitting happens and emotions run high ... especially when there is only one toy school bus that all the kids seem to think they need to play with. (Fortunately there isn't a biter in this class, as there was at his old daycare. I'm still amazed little man made it out of that one with all of his appendages.)

However, I also know my little man. And although he is usually very laid back, content and easy going, he is also not known to simply be pushed around. He definitely has spunk. I knew there was more to the story.

"Buddy, did you hit William back when he hit you?" I asked him.

"Oh, yes mommy," little man said, his face gleaming with pride.

"I hit him. Miss Megan made me go time out. It made me sad," little man said.

"You deserved a time out. We don't hit our friends," I told him. "That's not nice."

"But William not my friend," little man said.

"We don't hit anybody," I said sternly. "No one. No hitting ... ever."

"But he hit me first," little man said.

"That doesn't matter," I replied. "We don't hit. You need to be nice to your friends."

"William not my friend," little man repeated. "Chloe, Lexi, Austin my friend."

"You need to be friends with William, and no hitting," I finally said. "Do you understand?"

"OK mommy," little man said reluctantly.

I continued driving on, thinking I had finally gotten through to little man. As I pulled up into our driveway I asked little man once more, "Now, we don't hit anyone, do we?"

"Oh yes, mommy. I hit him back," little man said, smiling.

{Note to self: Get preschool teacher something really nice for Christmas.}

No comments: