Thursday, November 20, 2008

In Between

When little man was just a baby he was quite the snuggler. He loved to be placed on someone's shoulder, where he would then burrow in and snuggle as closely as he could. And it didn't have to be mama, he was an equal-opportunity snuggler and would happily cuddle with anyone and everyone. Put a blanket over him and he was sure to soon be drooling and snoring on you.

During those days I would often look at us in the mirror and be amazed at how small little man was. At just 7 pounds, he was quite the little ball of baby.

But those days have since blown past, and now at nearly 35 pounds, little man isn't quite as snuggly as he once was.

The other night I was getting little man ready for bed. After putting on his jammies I carried him downstairs for a good last 10 minutes of playtime with daddy. As I carried him down the stairs I came upon a mirror we have hanging in our foyer. I don't know why, but for some reason I was amazed when I saw our reflection. My once cuddly little ball of baby was now a big boy whose feet came down to my knees.

"Oh my goodness, you're getting so big," I said to little man.

"No, mommy, I'm not big," he said, looking up at me.

My heart warmed, thinking for sure little man would remind he was still just a little boy.

"That's right, you're my little guy," I said, kissing the top of his head.

"No, mommy, I'm not little," he said.

Mommy was confused.

"If you're not big and you're not little, then what are you?" I asked him, wondering what was going to come out next.

"I'm in between," little man said.

I sat, waiting for the "duhhhhh mommy" to come next, but thankfully little man had mercy on me.

And I then sat my little in between man down to play.

No comments: