Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting

When I picked up little man from preschool he immediately noticed my "I Voted" sticker on my shirt.

"Mommy, you got sticker?" He asked me.

I had forgotten I even still had the sticker on.

"Oh, yes," I said looking down at it. "Mommy does have a sticker."

"You go pee-pee?" Little man asked me.

{His preschool gives stickers as rewards to all the little tots in the process of potty training when they do their business like a "big boy" or "big girl."}

"No, buddy," I said with a giggle. "Mommy voted today, which is why I got the sticker."

"Oh, OK," little man said.

I could tell he was deep in thought. His little mind was working on something.

"What is that mommy? Vooowting?"

I was stuck. How do you explain something like voting to a 2-year-old? There was so much I wanted to say, so much I wanted to teach little man, but knew that those lessons would have to wait a few more years.

"It's something grownups do," I finally answered, at a loss for words.

"Oh, OK," little man said, playing with my sticker. "I vote too?"

"Someday, buddy," I replied. "Someday."

No comments: