Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Name Game: UPDATE

In a previous post, I wrote about my attempts (in vain) to teach little man our last name, which lead to a confusing discussion between little man and I about what my name was.

The good news is that little man can now pronounce my first name clear as bell.

The bad news is he thinks it's a cookie.

My mother-in-law couldn't resist buying a bag of Desiree cookies to bring to our Thanksgiving get-together. She was so surprised to see something with my name on it that she had to buy them.

The German wafer cookies were a tasty addition to our smorgasbord of treats. And the assortment of vanilla and chocolate cookies were a big hit with little man.

I nearly stopped in my tracks when he yelled from the living room "Mommy, I want a DESIREE cookie."

It was so clear. So perfect. Just a few weeks ago he couldn't even begin to pronounce it.

I was a proud mommy.

"Say mommy's name again," I said to little man.

He looked at me confused.

"Desiree," I said, prompting him along.

"Desiree COOKIE," little man said. "I want Desiree cookie."

He pointed into the kitchen.

"Mommy, I want Desiree cookie. Please."

I guess I should be thankful that at least he associates my name with something sweet ... even if he thinks I'm a cookie.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Sounds delicious! The kid isn't even 3 yet - cut him some slack for not understanding we all have all sorts of names! :-)